12 Aug How To Tell If Your Writing Is Good
How to Tell If Your Writing is Good will provide you some litmus test for your writing.
Today’s article will focus mainly on the clarity of your writings. How do you write?
How can you tell that you have written a good word?
Do you believe your work is worth reading to the hearing of professionals?
There are lessons to be noted while going through this piece.
When you try to search the internet about how to become a good writer, you will most certainly find answers, but not a good one to this personal question – are you good at writing?
What are you writing exactly?
Writing is a tool used in almost every platform on earth. There are different forms of writing – blogs, thesis, articles (like what you’re reading now), journals, novels, poetry, resumes, etc. These writing forms have different languages (tone) associated with them. Each is distinct and represents its niche differently.
A good way to tell if your writing is good is to find out what your niche is and what tone you have employed.
To know if your writing is good: some questions to consider include-
The unattended question above – “are you good at writing?” always attracts an affirmative reply. The question is somehow more of a personal one.
What do you think of your writing skills?
How can you tell you have written good stuff?
To know if you can pronounce yourself a good writer, you have to:
1. Be a good grammarian – This is funny because almost everyone who studied the English Language in school calls themselves grammarians (they kind of personalize it).
Being a grammarian is not limited to a set of people; it is a title for the people who adhere strictly to the rules of grammar and apply them in every single piece of writing. This is the first step to knowing if you can call yourself a good writer or not.
Can others comprehend everything you’ve written? Can they decipher the figurative expressions you used? Do they get confused on the way? Getting this information right is surely the first step to your realization.
You have to be proficient in grammar and diction – get your message passed and its content deciphered. That makes communication complete.
The Caged Hungry Lion and the Sheep
2. Be stylistic – Do you know Kevin Hart and what he is? Probably a movie star cum comedian.
Have you seen him star in a very sad or tragic movie? There is a very tiny possibility that he’s acted one.
This is because he is a ‘comedian’. This is his style.
Therefore, as a writer, you must have a style – your writing style that spells out your name if it’s read to an audience; a voice in your work that will always be recognized when read. This makes you and your work outstanding.
3. Be critical – Criticism is not (as we know it) to condemn your work. It is to strategically review your work and point out where you are flawed, what is to be, and what is not to be. Therefore, if you get reviews and criticisms, it means that you are a good writer.
Some critics may also not like your work, but do not fret. This is also one of the attributes of good work – as everyone out there will not like your work; some will by the way.
4. Be confident in your writing skills – Sometimes, when I write, I ask myself a few questions. The questions make me damn all the other consequences. This may not be the best approach to knowing if you are a great writer, yet it resuscitates my sapping energy, makes me write more, and confidently show friends what I have done and wait for their reviews.
There are questions I ask myself whenever I feel fulfilled after writing a piece:
Am I satisfied with my writing?
Have I checked for errors?
Will people love to read this when they find it out there?
Is this the best way to present this piece?
When I have asked these questions, and their answers are all in the affirmative, then, I can confidently say – “I am a good writer”. I hoard the conclusion until after reviews from friends.
5. Find stories in your surrounding – this is an apt device for recognizing a good writer. Good writers see stories from unfolding events. They creatively carve them out and bring them to life in their books. In other words, this means you know a good scenario that would make a good story when you see one – be it in a written work, movie, or reality.
6. Write more than speaking it – You can also tell how good a writer you are when you figure out your unique features. Writing may have become a part of your hobbies, but you are yet to realize it. You know that you are a good writer when you eventually want to pen things down and present a good picture always.
There are several other ways to know that you are a good writer. You just have to calm down, take a deep breath, then ask yourself what your qualities are. If you are one good writer, you can tell yourself the truth. Just keep at it.
A good writer can have his work rejected sometimes. This has happened to many good writers and counting, but it does not say – you are not good enough.
Again, always wanting to do better than you did before, to impress yourself and your readers, is a sign that you are a great writer. Another instance is when you always value written words over fancy wristwatches and golden necklaces – you’ve made it clear that you are a reader and a good writer.
Author: Izuchukwu Ugwu
Reviewer & Editor: Chinyere Nwosu
zoritoler imolPosted at 04:07h, 03 December
Hey there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading your posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same topics? Thank you!
Handbook Guide to a Dodge - DC (Classic Handbook Car Guide)Posted at 03:08h, 18 December
This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!
HayakawaPosted at 16:23h, 21 December
We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with useful info to paintings on. You have done a formidable activity and our whole neighborhood can be thankful to you.
MeridithPosted at 17:00h, 24 December
Definitely, what a great blog and educative posts, I definitely will bookmark your site.All the Best!
Handbook Guide to a Alfa Romeo – SUPER (Classic Handbook Car Guide)
SutherlandPosted at 17:50h, 30 December
Perfect work you have done, this website is really cool with wonderful information.
munkagépPosted at 03:48h, 16 January
The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!
LebermanPosted at 00:51h, 18 February
Excellent site. Lots of useful information here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks for your sweat! Fókuszpályázat pályázatírás Debrecen
bulk nftPosted at 02:07h, 02 March
Very good written article. It will be supportive to everyone who usess it, as well as myself. Keep doing what you are doing – for sure i will check out more posts.
uv led bulbPosted at 16:27h, 03 March
Very interesting topic, thanks for posting. “Remember when life’s path is steep to keep your mind even.” by Horace.