12 Sep Creative Ways To Avoid Depression
When depressed, you lose interest in activities you usually love due to lack of energy and a persistent feeling of sadness. Read on to find some creative ways to avoid depression and how you can easily manage depression and find your happy self again.
Creative Ways To Avoid Depression
Depression is a word that almost every youth is familiar with. Once puberty hits, a young adult begins to feel the pressure that life brings and gets easily overwhelmed. It is at this age that one begins to have traumatic experiences, and if the person has dormant genes of depression, it comes alive during this period. But still, it can also affect people of any age.
For young adults, thoughts of not being good enough or not being successful in one’s field spring up, and the young
individual is easily overwhelmed. This may lead to depression. Some of these adults even consider the option of suicide, and most go ahead to perform this action.
But luckily, they are different ways to avoid the gut-wrenching feeling that makes one feel empty and numb. In this article, we will be discussing some of them.
What Is Depression
Before we go into discussing how to avoid feeling depressed all the time, we must know what depression is. According to scientists, depression is a mental health disorder characterized by persistently depressed mood or loss of interest in activities, causing significant impairment in daily life. In summary, depression makes you lose interest in activities, even the ones you usually enjoy. It is a persistent feeling of sadness.
Depression is a mental condition, and as such, it can affect how you think, behave and relate with other people. It is a disorder that can destroy one’s life if not handled immediately.
Factors That Can Affect Your Mental Health
Symptoms Of Depression You Should Know
Unconditional Love and Borderline Personality Disorder
Four Ways to Support Students Affected by Trauma
What Causes Depression?
This question is probably in your mind right now. Well, the truth is that depression is not caused by just one thing. As we said before, it could result from several factors like insecurities, stressful life events, divorce, sickness, financial issues, the death of a loved one, and so much more. But mostly, terrible
events that happen in one’s life are the things that lead to depression. It could be caused by one factor or by several factors.
It is also important to note that medical treatments can lead to depression. Some drugs used to treat acne like isotretinoin can lead to severe depression. This is why it is advisable not to buy drugs you have not used before directly over-the-counter. First, talk to your doctor and find out if the drug is good for your body system before taking it.
Another major cause of depression is genes. A family with a history of depression is most likely to have children who will end up depressed. However, the genetics of depression is not as straightforward as pure genetics. Women, however, are more likely to be depressed than men. This is due to the number of hormones that are being secreted by their body every day.
But even with the overwhelming and numerous factors that can lead to depression, there are several things one can do to avoid it. Let us discuss them.
How To Avoid Depression
Many people resort to taking antidepressants to run away from depression. These drugs go a long way in helping them treat the disease. As much as depression can be treated medically, it also has some natural remedies. Creative Ways To Avoid Depression involve using natural means. Some natural treatments for depression include –
1. Proper Dieting: The saying – ” you are what you eat.” could be easily applicable here. When you focus on eating foods that contain rich vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, and all the classes of food, it will be difficult for depressing thoughts to creep into your head. Research has shown that the foods
that can help prevent depression include: fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, whole grains, green tea, and healthy oils like olive oil. Most of these foods produce antioxidants which will help prevent your body from oxidative stress. Foods one should limit their intake of include: red meat, baked goods, and sugary foods. Most of these foods will affect the gut microbiota, which will lead to an increase in the body’s system’s vulnerability to depression.
2. Sleep: Scientists have discovered a remarkable link between depression and insomnia. Lack of proper sleep may worsen a person’s state of depression. As such, it is advisable to get proper rest every day. A few ways to do so is to avoid drinking lots of fluid before going to bed. Also, avoid electronic devices before going to bed. Stay in a dark and quiet room that is conducive and comfortable enough for you.
3. Exercise: Experts on depression have advised doctors to include exercise in their treatment regimen for depressed persons. It goes a long way to show how important and effective exercising is in handling depression. Ironically, one of the things that depression will do is make one lazy to do any activity at all, including exercising. If this becomes the case, you should start with some simple exercises and do them for five minutes each day. It gets easier to do them when one is consistent with a routine.
4. Avoid Stress: Anxiety is one of the things that could easily trigger depression. When you are anxious about your future, and if you will accomplish all you have planned to achieve, it could lead to crippling feelings. This is why you should stress like a plague. A few ways to accomplish this are by having enough sleep, taking breaks from work, being contended, and saying no to more demands that may cripple you.
5. Therapy: Talking about one’s problem can go a long way in solving it, especially if you are discussing it with a professional. The therapist will be able to find practical solutions to tackle the depression.
6. Avoid Excessive Intake Of Alcohol And Drugs: A person who indulges in the excessive taking of drugs and alcohol may be delivering their mental mind to attacks of depression. If such a person is already suffering from depression, the intake of drugs and alcohol may worsen the condition. If one finds it very difficult to quit, there are always professionals that can help him get over the habit.
Tackling depression is always tricky, but with the right treatment, one can easily eradicate the disorder.
But if symptoms of depression persist, do reach out to a professional therapist as soon as possible to avoid thoughts of suicide.